Sunday, October 23, 2011

Victory At last: But Don't Exaggerate One Point

I must confess. I said before the RWC I was sick of it before it started but I was drawn in especially by underdogs like Tonga beating France the eventual finalist. I preferred the 2nd tier teams. There was some good rugby but there didnot appear to be much variation in style. It was. the same old maul, maul, maul. However, the French showed how dispite their 7-8 loss to the Abs that they were a team that could vary their play to suit. And they almost pulled it off. They were always looking for a way through. The Abs on the other hand just kept to Plan A regardless and in the last 2 minutes the play suddenly went their way. Lucky.

Anyway that's the rugby. Now we can get back to the real world and leave the circus until the next time. The Nats appear to be well ahead and the countryside is scarred by billboards reminding us that there is an election soon. First MMP; should we continue with it? Well, of course. It's kept the power brokers guessing, and the variety of MPs of all hews and colors stops the bland two party tweedledees and dums. Second; Who will in fact win? Didn't we think the Abs were going to win by a wide margin? Does politics foillow rugby? Will all that gunk from that ship still stuck on the rocks off Motiti influence the voters? It will me but I'm only one.

I predict a narrower victory for the Nats than that predicted for the last year but not a hung parliament.


No comments: