Friday, May 24, 2013

Maori Politics And Ikaroa-Rawhiti

To begin with it is going to be hard to fill the footprints left by Horomia. That man was everywhere and not only in his own rohe. I had the privilege of meeting him in the Far North, Wellington, and Auckland. Who ever takes his place need not try to emulate him but the fact is he has set for them some high expectations in that electorate especially for the Labour candidate who has yet to be chosen (25th May 2013). I used to be a member of Labour and active in the 1960s. By the 1970s I was a more passsive member.

Back then Labour Maori candidates during first past the post were chosen by the Maori Policy Committee of the party. Being rather too keen and naive I thought that it's main job was Maori Policy formation like its name said. This was true for the most part but I was at that time caught up in the selection process of choosing a successor to Mrs. Iriaka Ratana who was retiring. It turned out that the Chairman of this policy committee had a big say as to who that successor was and the Chairman Mr. Ralph Love was away in South Africa on Rugby Union business! The two leading Maori Labour MPs then involved the committee in a huge wrangle over the selection of the Chair. Two meetings lasted until midnight with no result but in the last meeting, by midnight the committee kicked the ball to the Labour Executive and finally under Whetu Tirikatene's leadership we started writing our committees report for the next morning to present to the Conference. And completed it by 3am.

The next morning early, we were running our report off the Gestetner and stapling it ready. By that time Ralph came back from South Africa and presented it. That was good old fashioned Labour. I remember looking around at the activity in the Gestetner room and saying out loud; "There's no doubt about us Maori. We are only good with our hands." We had a good laugh, but I felt this huge hand on my shoulder. It was Norm Kirk who said; "That's not true, mate." Koro Wetere was the successful candidate. How he was selected I don't know but I think he was the incumbent's choice.

I see now that Labour has to choose from six candidates and three meetings. Wow. Times have changed. So has my politics. But I hope Labour picks someone they can all support. As far as their opposition is concerned, I don't know Raihania for the the Maori Party. Hamua is a good choice for Mana and his appeal will be to the rangatahi. He has to get them off their butts to vote. I wish them all the best.

No comments: